Well I have had a lot of problems with the Blackphone now.
Activate your apps when you install
When you are going through the installation sequence, have the little paper with a QR code handy.
The way the UI is designed its very easy to skip this step. Once you have given the phone a working wifi connection (or possibly cellular data), hold your paws for a while and the QR reader will come up. If you click Next in the hope it will appear you will skip over it, and you will not be able to press “back”.
Furthermore you will never be able to run the QR Activation reader if you are not in initial install mode.
So I skipped it the first time around, and the steps you have to go through to do it manually are quite labor intensive, so I decided to do a factory reset, and carefully scan my QR code at the right time. If you do this right, your life will be easier. The QR reader works well, and all your apps are initialized with your extra services.
If you have a really secure password for Spider Oak it will take time to thumb it in.
This is not a specific critique of the Blackphone but rather a great frustration with the login feature.
I have setup a long, once and secure password for Spider Oak, and usually I have no problem with it. But when it comes to fat fingering it in on a small phone keypad, and the option to “display password” is not available you are essentially typing blind and crossing your fingers that you will get every character right.
This leads to ideas of having a shorter, and easier to type password, in order to make it easier to thumb in, but that has consequences as well.
Enabling “display password” would be a small help in figuring out if you fat fingered it correctly.
As I explain below i have gone though several factory resets, and each time Ive had thumb that password in.
I cannot get Silent Phone to work, period.
After my factory reset to get my QR code scanned, I have been completely unable to get Silent Phone working.
I get the following error:
I have no idea what tivi_cfg.xml is. Apparently its a snibbit of json that for some reason cannot be found.
I have reset my phone, rebooted, and tried a few other things and this message persist.
It happened July 3rd, and its July 9th at the time I write this and its still not working.
I have been in contact with support and so far they have not been able to identify the problem.
They had me go through an even more thorough factory reset, but that did not help either.
By now I am frustrated.